This article outlines an approach to bridging the gap between the theory and practice of differentiated instruction. Differentiated instruction has long been suggested as a pedagogical approach to cater for student individuality and diversity, particularly in mixed-ability classrooms. Although the theory of differentiated instruction has been applied widely, such instruction has not been taken up widely in teaching practice. The first part of the article explores the relationship of theory and practice of differentiated instruction in relation to pedagogical content knowledge, teacher efficacy, formative assessment, teacher confidence and competence and professional learning. This exploration uses exemplar cases from mathematics teaching to pave the way for an outline, in the second part of the article, of how differentiated instruction could be implemented for the mixed-ability groupings increasingly engaged in the Australian secondary mathematics classroom. A protype practice framework for teachers is presented as part of a project being conducted in regional Australia, with the overall aim of assisting teachers in developing and implementing strategies for differentiated instruction in secondary mathematics classrooms.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Declaration of Conflict of Interest: No conflict of interest is declared by author(s).
Data sharing statement: Data supporting the findings and conclusions are available upon request from the corresponding author(s).
- Adams, P., Mombourquette, C., & Townsend, D. (2019). Leadership in education: The power of generative dialogue. Canadian Scholars.
- Andersson, C., & Palm, T. (2017). The impact of formative assessment on student achievement: A study of the effects of changes to classroom practice after a comprehensive professional development programme. Learning and Instruction, 49, 92-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2016.12.006
- Andersson, C., & Palm, T. (2018). Reasons for teachers’ successful development of a formative assessment practice through professional development – a motivation perspective. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice, 25(6), 576-597. https://doi.org/10.1080/0969594X.2018.1430685
- Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute [AMSI]. (2020). The state of mathematical sciences 2020: 7th discipline profile of mathematics and statistics in Australia. AMSI. https://amsi.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/amsi-discipline-profile-2020.pdf
- Bada, S. O. (2015). Constructivism learning theory: A paradigm for teaching and learning. Journal of Research & Method in Education, 5(6), 66-70. https://doi.org/10.9790/7388-05616670
- Ball, D. L., Thames, M. H., & Phelps, G. (2008). Content knowledge for teaching: What makes it special. Journal of Teacher Education, 59(5), 389-407. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022487108324554
- Bandura, A. (1977). Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychological Review, 84(2), 191-215. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- Banks, J. A. (2007). Multicultural education: Characteristics and goals. In J. A. Banks, & C. A. McGee Banks (Vol. Eds.), Multicultural education: Issues and perspectives: Vols. 3–32. John Wiley and Sons.
- Barab, S., & Squire, K. (2004). Design-based research: Putting a stake in the ground. The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 13(1), 1-14.
- Bennett, R. E. (2011). Formative assessment: A critical review. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice, 18(1), 5-25. https://doi.org/10.1080/0969594X.2010.513678
- Beswick, K., & Fraser, S. (2019). Developing mathematics teachers’ 21st century competence for teaching in STEM contexts. ZDM, 51(6), 955-965. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11858-019-01084-2
- Black, P. (2015). Formative assessment—an optimistic but incomplete vision. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice, 22(1), 161-177. https://doi.org/10.1080/0969594X.2014.999643
- Bleakley, J., Woolcott, G., Yeigh, T., & Whannell, R. (2021). Developing emotional literacy in novice teachers using an affect-based reflection protocol. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 45(10), 55-72.
- Boaler, J. (1997). Experiencing school mathematics: Traditional and reform approaches to teaching and their impact on student learning. Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Boaler, J., & Staples, M. (2008). Creating mathematical futures through an equitable teaching approach: The case of Railside School. Teachers College Record, 110(3), 608-645. https://www.tcrecord.org/
- Boaler, J., Wiliam, D., & Brown, M. (2000). Students’ experiences of ability grouping – disaffection, polarisation and the construction of failure. British Educational Research Journal, 26(5), 631-648. https://doi.org/10.1080/713651583
- Bobis, J., Way, J., Attard, C., Anderson, J., McMaster, H., & Cartwright, K. (2020). Teachers’ professional learning and development in mathematics education. In J. Way, C. Attard, J. Anderson, J. Bobis, H. McMaster & K. Cartwright (Eds.), Research in Mathematics Education in Australasia 2016‐2019 (pp. 117-146). Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-4269-5_6
- Bond, E., Woolcott, G., & Markopoulos, C. (2020). Why aren’t teachers using formative assessment? What can be done about it? Assessment Matters, 14, 112-136. https://doi.org/10.18296/am.0046
- Borda, E., Warren, S., Coskie, T. L., Larson, B. E., Hanley, D., & Cohen, J. (2018). Cross-disciplinary, whole school education reform in secondary schools: Three critical components. School–University Partnerships, 11(1), 46-56. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1179959
- Boyle, B., Lamprianou, I., & Boyle, T. (2005). A longitudinal study of teacher change: What makes professional development effective? Report of the second year of the study. School effectiveness and school improvement, 16(1), 1-27. https://doi.org/10.1080/09243450500114819
- Brezicha, K. F., Ikoma, S., Park, H., & LeTendre, G. K. (2020). The ownership perception gap: Exploring teacher job satisfaction and its relationship to teachers’ and principals’ perception of decision-making opportunities. International Journal of Leadership in Education, 23(4), 428-456.
- Brooks, J. G., & Brooks, M. G. (1999). In search of understanding: The case for constructivist classrooms. Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Bruner, J. S. (1984). In search of mind: Essays in autobiography. Harper Collins.
- Bui, V., Woolcott, G., Peddell, L., Yeigh, T., Ellis, D., Lynch, D. L., Willis, R., & Samojlowicz, D. (2020). An online support system for teachers of mathematics in regional, rural and remote Australia. Australian and International Journal of Rural Education, 30(3), 69-88. https://www.journal.spera.asn.au/index.php/AIJRE/article/view/287
- Chalmers, C., Carter, M. L., Cooper, T., & Nason, R. (2017). Implementing “big ideas” to advance the teaching and learning of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 15(1), 25-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10763-017-9799-1
- Cohen, E. G., & Lotan, R. A. (2014). Designing groupwork: Strategies for the heterogeneous classroom third edition. Teachers College Press.
- Cooper, B., Cowie, B., Furness, J. A., Peter, M., & Bailey, J. (2017). Mathematical reasoning and knowledge in initial teacher education (MARKITE). Teaching & Learning Research Initiative.
- Cooper, R. (2007). An investigation into constructivism within an outcomes based curriculum. Issues in Educational Research, 17(1), 15-39. http://www.iier.org.au/
- Cross, D. I. (2009). Alignment, cohesion, and change: Examining mathematics teachers’ belief structures and their influence on instructional practices. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 12(5), 325-346. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10857-009-9120-5
- Darling-Hammond, L., Hyler, M. E., & Gardner, M. (2017). Effective teacher professional development. Learning Policy Institute.
- Davis, B. (2012). Educational reform, public engagement and “complexity”. TCI (Transnational Curriculum Inquiry), 9(2), 50-66.
- Davis, B., & Renert, M. (2013). The math teachers know: Profound understanding of emergent mathematics. Routledge.
- Davis, B., & Sumara, D. (2014). Complexity and education: Inquiries into learning, teaching, and research. Routledge.
- De Neve, D., Devos, G., & Tuytens, M. (2015). The importance of job resources and self-efficacy for beginning teachers’ professional learning in differentiated instruction. Teaching and Teacher Education, 47, 30-41. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2014.12.003
- Dillon, D. R., O’Brien, D. G., & Heilman, E. E. (2000). Literacy research in the next millennium: From paradigms to pragmatism and practicality. Reading Research Quarterly, 35(1), 10-26. https://doi.org/10.1598/RRQ.35.1.2
- Dixon, F. A., Yssel, N., McConnell, J. M., & Hardin, T. (2014). Differentiated instruction, professional development, and teacher efficacy. Journal for the Education of the Gifted, 37(2), 111-127. https://doi.org/10.1177/0162353214529042
- Doig, B., & Groves, S. (2011). Japanese lesson study: Teacher professional development through communities of enquiry. Mathematics Teacher Education and Development, 13, 77-93. https://mted.merga.net.au/index.php/mted/article/view/47
- Dweck, C. S. (2008). Mindsets and math/science achievement. Carnegie Corporation of New York, Institute for Advanced Study, Commission on Mathematics and Science Education.
- Earl, L. M. (2012). Assessment as learning: Using classroom assessment to maximize student learning. Corwin Press.
- Easterbrook, M. J., & Hadden, I. R. (2021). Tackling educational inequalities with social psychology: Identities, contexts, and interventions. Social Issues and Policy Review, 15(1), 180-236. https://doi.org/10.1111/sipr.12070
- Fishman, B. J., Penuel, W. R., Allen, A.-R., Cheng, B. H., & Sabelli, N. (2013). Design-based implementation research: An emerging model for transforming the relationship of research and practice. National society for the study of education, 112(2), 136-156.
- Francis, B., Taylor, B., & Tereshchenko, A. (2019). Reassessing ‘ability’ grouping: Improving practice for equity and attainment. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780429436512
- Francome, T., & Hewitt, D. (2020). “My math lessons are all about learning from your mistakes”: How mixed-attainment mathematics grouping affects the way students experience mathematics. Educational Review, 72(4), 475-494.
- Gallagher, T. L., & Fazio, X. (2017). Design-based research: Professional learning and curricular integration. Sage. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781526419361
- Gamoran, A. (2009). Tracking and inequality: New directions for research and practice (WCER working paper No. 2009-6). https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED506617.pdf
- Garner, J. K., & Kaplan, A. (2019). A complex dynamic systems perspective on teacher learning and identity formation: An instrumental case. Teachers and Teaching, 25(1), 7-33. https://doi.org/10.1080/13540602.2018.1533811
- George, P. S. (2005). A rationale for differentiating instruction in the regular classroom. Theory Into Practice: Differentiated Instruction, 44(3), 185-193. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15430421tip4403_2
- Gess-Newsome, J. (2015). A model of teacher professional knowledge and skill including PCK. In A. Berry, P. Friedrichsen, & J. Loughran (Eds.), Re-examining pedagogical content knowledge in science education (pp. 28-42). Routledge.
- Gilstrap, D. L. (2020). Understanding persistence of at-risk students in higher education enrollment management using multiple linear regression and network analysis. The Journal of Experimental Education, 88(3), 470-485. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220973.2019.1659217
- Golding, J. (2017). Mathematics teachers’ capacity for change. Oxford Review of Education, 43(4), 502-517. https://doi.org/10.1080/03054985.2017.1331846
- Goos, M. (2016). Challenges and Opportunities in teaching mathematics. Australian Mathematics Teacher, 72(4), 34-38. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1121322
- Goos, M., Bennison, A. & Proffitt-White, R. (2018). Sustaining and Scaling up Research-Informed Professional Development for Mathematics Teachers. 20(2), 133-150.
- Graven, M. (2004). Investigating mathematics teacher learning within an in-service community of practice: The centrality of confidence. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 57, 177-211. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:EDUC.0000049277.40453.4b
- Gregory, G. H., & Chapman, C. (2013). Differentiated instructional strategies: One size doesn’t fit all. Corwin Press.
- Hackenberg, A. J., Creager, M., & Eker, A. (2020). Teaching practices for differentiating mathematics instruction for middle school students. Mathematical Thinking and Learning, 1-30. https://doi.org/10.1080/10986065.2020.1731656
- Hager, P., & Beckett, D. (2019). The emergence of complexity: Rethinking education as a social science. Springer Nature. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-31839-0
- Hallinger, P., & Kulophas, D. (2020). The evolving knowledge base on leadership and teacher professional learning: A bibliometric analysis of the literature, 1960-2018. Professional Development in Education, 46(4), 521-540. https://doi.org/10.1080/19415257.2019.1623287
- Hardjono, T., & van Kemenade, E. (2021). The emergence paradigm in quality management. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-58096-4
- Harrison, J., & Yaffe, E. (2009). Teacher educators and reflective practice. In A. Swennen & M. van der Klink (Eds.), Becoming a teacher educator (pp. 145-161). Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-8874-2_11
- Hatlevik, I. K. R. (2017). The impact of prospective teachers’ perceived competence on subsequent perceptions as schoolteachers. Teachers and Teaching, 23, 810-828. https://doi.org/10.1080/13540602.2017.1322056
- Hawkey, K. (2006). Emotional intelligence and mentoring in pre-service teacher education: A literature review. Mentoring & Tutoring, 14, 137-147. https://doi.org/10.1080/13611260500493485
- He, Y., & Levin, B. B. (2008). Match or mismatch? How congruent are the beliefs of teacher candidates, cooperating teachers, and university-based teacher educators? Teacher Education Quarterly, 35(4), 37-55. https://www.jstor.org/
- Hill, H. C., Ball, D. L., & Schilling, S. G. (2008). Unpacking pedagogical content knowledge: Conceptualizing and measuring teachers’ topic-specific knowledge of students. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 39(4), 372-400. https://www.jstor.org/stable/40539304
- Hodgen, J. & Wiliam, D. (2006). Mathematics inside the black box: Assessment for learning in the mathematics classroom. GL Assessment.
- Ireson, J., Clark, H., & Hallam, S. (2002). Constructing ability groups in the secondary school: Issues in practice. School Leadership & Management, 22(2), 163-176. https://doi.org/10.1080/1363243022000007737
- Jäppinen, A. K., & Sarja, A. (2012). Distributed pedagogical leadership and generative dialogue in educational nodes. Management in Education, 26(2), 64-72. https://doi.org/10.1177/0892020611429983
- Jaremus, F., Gore, J., Fray, L., & Prieto-Rodriguez, E. (2020). Grouped out of STEM degrees: The overlooked mathematics ‘glass ceiling’ in NSW secondary schools. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1080/13603116.2020.1776778
- Jesson, R. N., & Spratt, R. (2017). An Intervention in literacy in three Pacific nations: Implications of a context specific approach to co-design. International Education Journal: Comparative Perspectives, 16(1), 36-49.
- Johnston, O., & Wildy, H. (2016). The effects of streaming in the secondary school on learning outcomes for Australian students—A review of the international literature. Australian Journal of Education, 60(1), 42-59. https://doi.org/10.1177/0004944115626522
- Jörg, T. (2017). On reinventing education in the age of complexity: A Vygotsky-inspired generative complexity approach. Complicity: An International Journal of Complexity and Education, 14(2), 30-53. https://doi.org/10.29173/cmplct29334
- Jörg, T., Davisc, B. & Nickmans, G. (2007). Towards a new, complexity science of learning and education. Educational Research Review, 2(2), 145-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.edurev.2007.09.002
- Kalina, C., & Powell, K. (2009). Cognitive and social constructivism: Developing tools for an effective classroom. Education, 130(2), 241-250. https://docdrop.org/static/drop-pdf/Powell-and-Kalina-U6g4p.pdf
- Kalyuga, S. (Ed.). (2015). Instructional guidance: A cognitive load perspective. Information Age Publishing.
- Kelly, N., Russell, N., Kickbusch, S., Barros, A., Dawes, L., & Rasmussen, R. (2018). Online communities of teachers to support situational knowledge: A design-based study. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 34(5), 150-166. https://doi.org/10.14742/ajet.3867
- Koellner, K., & Jacobs, J. (2015). Distinguishing models of professional development: The case of an adaptive model’s impact on teachers’ knowledge, instruction, and student achievement. Journal of Teacher Education, 66(1), 51-67. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022487114549599
- Koopmans, M., & Stamovlasis, D. (2016). Complex dynamical systems in education. Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-27577-2
- Lerman, S. (2012). Articulating theories of mathematics learning. In Ernest, P. (Ed.), Constructing mathematical knowledge: Epistemology and mathematics education. Studies in Mathematics Education Series: 4 (pp. 41-49). Routledge.
- Levy, H. M. (2008). Meeting the needs of all students through differentiated instruction: Helping every child reach and exceed standards. The Clearing House: A Journal of Educational Strategies, Issues and Ideas, 81(4), 161-164. https://doi.org/10.3200/TCHS.81.4.161-164
- Lunenburg, F. C. (2011). Critical thinking and constructivism techniques for improving student achievement. National Forum of Teacher Education Journal, 21(3), 1-9.
- Lynch, D. L., Yeigh, T., Woolcott, G., Peddell, L., Samojlowicz, D., Hudson, S., Markopoulos, C., & Willis, R. (2020). An innovative teacher of mathematics identity framework: An adaptive solution to systematic challenges facing teachers in regional, rural and remote Australia. Australian Mathematics Education Journal, 2(3), 16-22.
- Marton, F. (1986). Phenomenography—a research approach to investigating different understandings of reality. Journal of Thought, 21(3), 28-49.
- Mayer-Smith, J., & Mitchell, I. (1997). Teaching about constructivism: Using approaches informed by constructivism. In V. Richardson (Ed.), Constructivist teacher education (pp. 135-152). Falmer Press.
- McTighe, J., & O’connor, K. (2005). Seven practices for effective learning. Educational Leadership, 63, 10-17. https://old.bvsd.org/curriculum/Documents/Seven-Practices-for-Effective-Learning.pdf
- Mijs, J. J. B. (2016). Stratified failure: Educational stratification and students’ attributions of their mathematics performance in 24 countries. Sociology of Education, 89(2), 137-153. https:// doi.org/10.1177/0038040716636434
- Moss, C. M., & Brookhart, S. M. (2019). Advancing formative assessment in every classroom: A guide for instructional leaders. ASCD.
- Murata, A. (2013). Diversity and high academic expectations without tracking: Inclusively responsive instruction. Journal of the Learning Sciences, 22(2), 312-335. https://doi.org/10.1080/10508406.2012.682188
- Nichols, S. L., Schutz, P. A., Rodgers, K., & Bilica, K. (2017). Early career teachers’ emotion and emerging teacher identities. Teachers and Teaching, 23, 406-421. https://doi.org/10.1080/13540602.2016.1211099
- Ohi, S., O’Mara, J., Arber, R., Hartung, C., Shaw, G., & Halse, C. (2019). Interrogating the promise of a whole-school approach to intercultural education: An Australian investigation. European Educational Research Journal, 18(2), 234-247. https://doi.org/10.1177/1474904118796908
- Organization of Economic Co-operation and Development [OECD]. (2010). Educating teachers for diversity: Meeting the challenge. OECD.
- Organization of Economic Co-operation and Development [OECD]. (2013). PISA 2012 Results: What Makes Schools Successful (Volume IV). OECD.
- Organization of Economic Co-operation and Development [OECD]. (2018). Teaching for the future: Effective classrooms practices to transform education. OECD.
- Osman, D. J., & Warner, J. R. (2020). Measuring teacher motivation: The missing link between professional development and practice. Teaching and Teacher Education, 92, 103064. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2020.103064
- Penuel, W. R., Fishman, B. J., Cheng, B. H., & Sabelli, N. (2016). Organizing research and development at the intersection of learning, implementation, and design. Annual Review of Policy Design, 4(1), 1-10.
- Petta, K., Smith, R., Chaseling, M., & Markopoulos, C. (2019). Generative dialogue: A concept analysis. Management in Education, 33(2), 53-61. https://doi.org/10.1177/0892020618780978
- Piaget, J. (1972). The Psychology of the Child. Basic Books.
- Raymond, K. (2018). M is not just for STEM: How myths about the purposes of mathematics education have narrowed mathematics curricula in the United States. Education Sciences, 8(2), 47. https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci8020047
- Razer, M., Mittelberg, D., & Ayalon, S. (2018). The ability-track glass ceiling of Israeli schooling: lessons from a comparative analysis of Israeli and Australian PISA 2012 data. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 22(2), 192-214. https://doi.org/10.1080/13603116.2017.1362480
- Rock, M. L., Gregg, M., Ellis, E., & Gable, R. A. (2008). REACH: A framework for differentiating classroom instruction. Preventing School Failure: Alternative Education for Children and Youth, 52(2), 31-47. https://doi.org/10.3200/PSFL.52.2.31-47
- Russell, T. (2005). Can reflective practice be taught?. Reflective Practice, 6(2), 199-204. https://doi.org/10.1080/14623940500105833
- Sandfort, J. R. (2018). Theoretical foundations and design principles to improve policy and program implementation. In E. Stazky & H. G. Frederickson (Eds.), Handbook of American Public Administration (pp. 475-496). Edward Elgar. https://doi.org/10.4337/9781786432070.00039
- Sasson, I., & Miedijensky, S. (2020). Transfer skills in teacher training programs: the question of assessment. Professional Development in Education, 1-38. https://doi.org/10.1080/19415257.2020.1839783
- Schön, D.A. (1987). Educating the reflective practitioner. Jossey-Bass.
- Schön, D.A. (Ed.) (1991) The reflective turn: Case studies in and on educational practice. Teachers College Press.
- Shields, C. M., & Edwards, M. M. (2005). Dialogue is not just talk: A new ground for educational leadership (Vol. 289). Peter Lang.
- Shulman, L. S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational researcher, 15(2), 4-14. https://doi.org/10.3102/0013189X015002004
- Shulman, L. S., & Shulman, J. H. (2004). How and what teachers learn: A shifting perspective. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 36, 257-271. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022057409189001-202
- Siyepu, S. (2013). The zone of proximal development in the learning of mathematics. South African Journal of Education, 33(2). https://doi.org/10.15700/saje.v33n2a714
- Smale-Jacobse, A. E., Meijer, A., Helms-Lorenz, M., & Maulana, R. (2019). Differentiated instruction in secondary education: A systematic review of research evidence. Frontiers in Psychology, 10, 2366. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02366
- Smets, W., De Neve, D., & Struyven, K. (2020). Responding to students’ learning needs: How secondary education teachers learn to implement differentiated instruction. Educational Action Research, 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1080/09650792.2020.1848604
- Smit, R., & Humpert, W. (2012). Differentiated instruction in small schools. Teaching and Teacher Education, 28(8), 1152-1162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2012.07.003
- Spillane, J. P., Diamond, J. B., & Jita, L. (2003). Leading instruction: The distribution of leadership for instruction. Journal of Curriculum studies, 35(5), 533-543. https://doi.org/10.1080/0022027021000041972
- Stanford, B., & Reeves, S. (2009). Making it happen: Using differentiated instruction, retrofit framework, and universal design for learning. Teaching Exceptional Children Plus, 5(6), n6. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ967757.pdf
- Steenbeek, H., & van Geert, P. (2013). The emergence of learning-teaching trajectories in education: A complex dynamic systems approach. Nonlinear Dynamics, Psychology, and Life Sciences, 17(2), 233-267.
- Stelmach, B. (2020). [Review of the book Leadership in education: The power of generative dialogue, by P. Adams, C. Mombourquette, & D. Townsend]. Canadian Journal of Educational Administration and Policy, 193, 143-146.
- Stephanou, A., & Lindsey, J. (2013). Progressive achievement tests in mathematics (PATMaths) (4th ed.). Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) Press.
- Sullivan, P., Bobis, J., Downton, A., Feng, M., Hughes, S., Livy, S., ... & Russo, J. (2020). Threats and opportunities in remote learning of mathematics: implication for the return to the classroom. Mathematics Education Research Journal, 32, 551-559. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13394-020-00339-6
- Suprayogi, M. N., Valcke, M., & Godwin, R. (2017). Teachers and their implementation of differentiated instruction in the classroom. Teaching and Teacher Education, 67, 291-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2017.06.020
- Sutton, R. E., & Wheatley, K. F. (2003). Teachers’ emotions and teaching: A review of the literature and directions for future research. Educational Psychology Review, 15(4), 327-358. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026131715856
- Sweller, J., Ayres, P., & Kalyuga, S. (2011). Cognitive load theory: Explorations in the learning sciences, instructional systems and performance technologies. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-8126-4
- Taylor, B., Francis, B., Archer, L., Hodgen, J., Pepper, D., Tereshchenko, A., & Travers, M. C. (2017). Factors deterring schools from mixed attainment teaching practice. Pedagogy, Culture & Society, 25(3), 327-345. https://doi.org/10.1080/14681366.2016.1256908
- Taylor, B., Hodgen, J., Tereshchenko, A., & Gutiérrez, G. (2020). Attainment grouping in English secondary schools: A national survey of current practices. Research Papers in Education, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/02671522.2020.1836517
- Tereshchenko, A., Francis, B., Archer, L., Hodgen, J., Mazenod, A., Taylor, B., ... & Travers, M. C. (2019). Learners’ attitudes to mixed-attainment grouping: Examining the views of students of high, middle and low attainment. Research Papers in Education, 34(4), 425-444. https://doi.org/10.1080/02671522.2018.1452962
- Timperley, H. (2011). Realizing the power of professional learning. Open University Press.
- Tomasello, M. (2014). A natural history of human thinking. Harvard University Press. https://doi.org/10.4159/9780674726369
- Tomlinson, C. A. (1999). Mapping a route toward differentiated instruction. Educational leadership, 57, 12-17.
- Tomlinson, C. A. (2000). What is differentiated instruction. In C. M. Callahan & H. L. Hertberg-Davis (Eds.), Fundamentals of gifted education: Considering multiple perspectives (pp. 287-300). Routledge.
- Tomlinson, C. A. (2004). How to differentiate instruction in mixed ability classrooms (2nd ed.). ASCD.
- Tomlinson, C. A. (2005). Grading and differentiation: Paradox or good practice? Theory Into Practice, 44(3), 262-269. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15430421tip4403_11
- Tomlinson, C. A. (2014). The differentiated classroom: Responding to the needs of all learners (2nd ed.). ASCD.
- Tomlinson, C. A. (2016). The bridge between today’s lesson and tomorrow’s. In M. Scherer (Ed.), On formative assessment: Readings from educational leadership (pp. 14-23). ASCD.
- Tomlinson, C. A. (2017). How to differentiate instruction in academically diverse classrooms (3rd ed.). ASCD.
- Tomlinson, C. A., Brighton, C., Hertberg, H., Callahan, C. M., Moon, T. R., Brimijoin, K., Conover, L. A., & Reynolds, T. (2003). Differentiating instruction in response to student readiness, interest, and learning profile in academically diverse classrooms: A review of literature. Journal for the Education of the Gifted, 27(2-3), 119-145. https://doi.org/10.1177/016235320302700203
- Townsend, D., & Adams, P. (2009). The essential equation: A handbook for school improvement. Detselig Enterprises.
- Ültanır, E. (2012). An epistemological glance at the constructivist approach: Constructivist learning in Dewey, Piaget, and Montessori. International Journal of Instruction, 5(2), 195-212. http://www.e-iji.net/
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation [UNESCO]. (2005). Guidelines for inclusion: Ensuring assess to education for all. UNESCO.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation [UNESCO]. (2015). EFA global monitoring report: Education for all 2000–2015: Achievements and challenges. UNESCO.
- Valiandes, S., & Neophytou, L. (2018). Teachers’ professional development for differentiated instruction in mixed-ability classrooms: investigating the impact of a development program on teachers’ professional learning and on students’ achievement. Teacher Development, 22(1), 123-138. https://doi.org/10.1080/13664530.2017.1338196
- Van der Kleij, F. M., Cumming, J. J., & Looney, A. (2018). Policy expectations and support for teacher formative assessment in Australian education reform. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice, 25(6), 620-637. https://doi.org/10.1080/0969594X.2017.1374924
- Vingsle, C. (2014). Formative assessment: Teacher knowledge and skills to make it happen thesis). Unpublished Licentiate thesis. Umeå University, Sweden. http://umu.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:735415/FULLTEXT01.pdf
- Von Glasersfeld, E. (1989). Cognition, construction of knowledge, and teaching. In M. R. Matthews (Ed.), Constructivism in science education (pp. 11-30). Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00869951
- Vygotsky, L. S. (1978). Mind in society: The development of higher mental processes (E. Rice, Ed. & Trans.). Harvard University Press.
- Wheatley, K. F. (2005). The case for reconceptualizing teacher efficacy research. Teaching and Teacher Education, 21(7), 747-766. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2005.05.009
- Wiliam, D. (2011). What is assessment for learning? Studies in Educational Evaluation, 37(1), 3-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.stueduc.2011.03.001
- Willis, R., Lynch, D. L., Peddell, L., Yeigh, T., Woolcott, G., Bui, V., Boyd, W., Ellis, D., Markopoulos, C., & James, S. (2021). Development of a teacher of mathematics identity (ToMI) scale. Mathematics Education Research Journal. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13394-021-00391-w
- Woolcott, G., Leonard, S., Scott, A., Keast, R., & Chamberlain, D. (2020). Partnered research and emergent variation: Developing a set of characteristics for identifying complexity in higher education partnerships. Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management. https://doi.org/10.1080/1360080X.2020.1733734
- Woolcott, G., Peddell, L., Yeigh, T., Willis, R., Markopoulos, C., Ellis, D., Lynch, D., & Bui, V. (2021). School reform in rural Australia: Developing adaptive solutions to systemic challenges for teachers of mathematics. In C. V. Meyers, & M. J. Darwin (Eds.), Rural school turnaround and reform: It’s hard work!. Information Age Publishers.
- Woolcott, G., Scott, A., Norton, M., Whannell, R., Galligan, L., Marshman, M., Pfeiffer, L., & Wines, C. (2017a). It’s part of my life: Engaging university and community to enhance science and mathematics education. Final report for Enhancing the Training of Mathematics and Science Teachers. Department of Education and Training, Canberra, Australia.
- Woolcott, G., Scott, A., Norton, M., Whannell, R., Galligan, L., Marshman, M., Pfeiffer, L., & Wines, C. (2017b). The Enhancement-Lesson-Reflection process: A resource manual for science and mathematics learning and teaching. Companion Report to the Final report: It’s part of my life: Engaging university and community to enhance science and mathematics education. Department of Education and Training, Canberra, Australia.
- Woolcott, G., Seton, C., Mason, R., Chen, O., Lake, W., Markopoulos, C., & Boyd, W. (2019a). Developing a new generation MOOC (ngMOOC): A design-based implementation research project with cognitive architecture and student feedback in mind. European Journal of Open, Distance and E-learning, 22(1). https://doi.org/:10.2478/eurodl-2019-0002
- Woolcott, G., Whannell, R., Wines, C., Pfeiffer, L., Marshman, M., & Galligan, L. (2019b). Collaboration and co-creation in regional and remote education: Case studies from initial teacher education programs. The Australasian Journal of Regional Studies, 25(1), 54-80. Retrieved from https://www.anzrsai.org/assets/Uploads/PublicationChapter/AJRS-25.1-pages-054-to-080.pdf
- York-Barr, J., Sommers, W., Ghere, G., & Montie. J. (2006). Reflective practice to improve schools. Corwin Press.
- Zhang B. H., & Ahmed S. A. M. (2020). Systems thinking—Ludwig Von Bertalanffy, Peter Senge, and Donella Meadows. In B. Akpan & T. J. Kennedy (Eds.), Science education in theory and practice (pp. 419-436). Springer Texts in Education. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-43620-9_28
How to cite this article
Marks, A., Woolcott, G., & Markopoulos, C. (2021). Differentiating Instruction: Development of a Practice Framework for and with Secondary Mathematics Classroom Teachers. International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 16(3), em0657. https://doi.org/10.29333/iejme/11198
Marks A, Woolcott G, Markopoulos C. Differentiating Instruction: Development of a Practice Framework for and with Secondary Mathematics Classroom Teachers. INT ELECT J MATH ED. 2021;16(3):em0657. https://doi.org/10.29333/iejme/11198
Marks A, Woolcott G, Markopoulos C. Differentiating Instruction: Development of a Practice Framework for and with Secondary Mathematics Classroom Teachers. INT ELECT J MATH ED. 2021;16(3), em0657. https://doi.org/10.29333/iejme/11198
Marks, Andrew, Geoff Woolcott, and Christos Markopoulos. "Differentiating Instruction: Development of a Practice Framework for and with Secondary Mathematics Classroom Teachers". International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education 2021 16 no. 3 (2021): em0657. https://doi.org/10.29333/iejme/11198
Marks, A., Woolcott, G., and Markopoulos, C. (2021). Differentiating Instruction: Development of a Practice Framework for and with Secondary Mathematics Classroom Teachers. International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 16(3), em0657. https://doi.org/10.29333/iejme/11198
Marks, Andrew et al. "Differentiating Instruction: Development of a Practice Framework for and with Secondary Mathematics Classroom Teachers". International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, vol. 16, no. 3, 2021, em0657. https://doi.org/10.29333/iejme/11198